Disable offline files using registry key
- Open registry editor by executing regedit from Run window.
- Go to the node HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRxSmb\Parameters
- Create a new registry value with the name CSCEnabled and of type REG_DWORD. CSCEnabled is of type REG_DWORD.
- Set the value of this new registry value to 0.
- Reboot the machine. Changes won't take affect until the reboot is done.
Note that this disables Offline Files/CSC for all users on the system and users will see everything greyed out in the Offline Files tab. Snapshot is shown below
Vista / Windows 7
In Vista and Windows 7 offline files also has a service running in the system. Stopping this service will disable offline files feature on the system and this does not require a reboot. But when the system is rebooted offline files will be enabled again. To disable offline files feature permanently on the system do the following.
- Open registry editor by executing Regedit from Run window.(Windows + R Shortcut)
- Say Yes in the User Account Control confirmation window.
- Go to the node HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC
- From the list of registry values displayed in the right side pane, change the data in the registry valueStart to 4.
- Close registry editor and reboot the machine