Exploring the WSUS Windows Internal Database
Správa WSUS databaze
Note: You must install .NET Framework 2.0 and MSXML 6.0 Parser before you install SSMSE 2008 R2.
- Download Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express 2008 R2 from here or SSMSE 2008 R2 RTM. Make sure you select the x86 or x64 version depending on your server architecture.
- Install SQL Management Studio by selecting all defaults.
- Open SQL Management Studio by selecting Start – All Programs – Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and selecting SQL Server Management Studio Express.
- At the “Connect to Server” dialog, in the Server name field enter the following string: \\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query
- At this point SQL Management Studio Express will make a connection to the Windows Internal Database using a named pipes connection (one of the limitations of Windows Internal Database).
- Expand Databases and select SUSDB to explore tables, views, permissions, etc as you would as if you were using full SQL.
- It is important to remember that editing the SUSDB tables, is not supported by Microsoft.